TECHNICAL SERVICES LIBRARIAN – LAW LIBRARY FACULTY, Valparaiso University Law School – Valparaiso, IN – posted 2/13/17
Valparaiso University Law School invites applications for the position of Technical Services Librarian. This is a tenure track library faculty position reporting to the Associate Dean for Library Services. The Technical Services Librarian will play a key role in providing and maintaining access to the Law Library’s collection by directing the technical services functions of cataloging, serials, and physical processing of the collection while providing oversight of the Law School’s portion of the University’s integrated library system.
We seek to recruit a skilled and energetic librarian who, in addition to overseeing the technical service functions of the library, may also be interested in participating in the delivery of our three semester program of legal research required of all Valparaiso University law students and taught by the library faculty.
- Oversight of cataloging for all library materials.
- Performing continuous review of catalog to maintain records and implement changes
- Ensuring compliance with national and local standards for bibliographic control
- Serving as the Law School’s systems administrator for Innovative Millennium.
- Oversight of interlibrary loan, and the physical processing of library materials
- Oversight of serials, including the use of Serials Solutions in close partnership with the main campus library
- Gathering statistical information needed for annual surveys and other reports
- Supervising one staff member and a student assistant
- Advising the Associate Dean for Library Services on issues and new developments in library systems, as well as trends associated with the delivery of electronic resources and integration of electronic resources within the library collection
- Collaborating with other members of the Law Library faculty and staff to provide faculty and student support including reference services
- Other duties as assigned
- L.S. / M.L.I.S. from an ALA-accredited library school required
- In-depth knowledge of cataloging, including current standards
- In-depth knowledge of one or more integrated library systems
- In-depth knowledge of OCLC
- Ability to work independently, cooperatively
- Ability to communicate and forge effective working relationships with colleagues from all levels campus-wide
- Ability to manage complex activities and projects
- Strong service orientation
- Ability to meet Law Library tenure and promotion requirements
- Experience administering Innovative Millennium
- D. from ABA-approved law school
- Supervisory skills
- Prior experience in an academic law library
- Teaching experience and a desire to participate in the delivery of the Law School’s legal research curriculum.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds. In addition to strong academic qualifications and excellence in teaching, the University highly values experience in working across cultural and other significant differences.
Candidates should be interested in working at a university engaged in issues in Christian higher education in the Lutheran tradition.
Salary / Rank
Salary and rank will be commensurate with experience. Valparaiso University offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Application Deadline and Procedures
The position is available immediately and will remain open until filled, though full consideration is assured only to applications received by March 10, 2017. All application materials must be submitted electronically through Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/40583. Complete applications must include a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position, current curriculum vitae or resume, and three professional references. For questions regarding this position, please contact Steve Probst, chair of the search committee at Steven.Probst@valpo.edu or (219) 465-7820.
Valparaiso University does not unlawfully discriminate and aims to employ persons of various backgrounds and experiences to develop and support a diverse community. Its entire EOE policy can be found at http://www.valpo.edu/general-counsel/policies/equal-opportunity-policy.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a satisfactory criminal background check.
About Valparaiso University Law School
Founded in 1879, the Law School embraces law as a calling to leadership and service. Our legal education blends theoretical and practical skills with humanitarian values to ready lawyers for that calling. The Law School is a community of learning, inquiry, and opportunity dedicated to excellence in legal education and invested in the academic and personal success of its students, preparing and empowering them to serve others and fulfill their potential in their chosen careers.
Valparaiso, Indiana, a dynamic community of 31,000, provides a high quality of living to its residents, has excellent public schools, and was named the 2009 Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber. An hour’s train ride from downtown Chicago, Valparaiso provides easy access to world-class museums, arts and entertainment, sporting events, dining, and shopping. The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, a national recreation area providing hiking, camping, beaches, and access to Lake Michigan is twenty minutes to the North.
DIRECTOR, LAW LIBRARY, Geauga County Law Library – Chagrin Falls, OH – posted 1/19/17
NATURE OF WORK:
The Director of the Law Library is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Geauga County Law Library Resources Board, who act as the Director’s supervisors. The Director works independently and is responsible for the operation and management of the Law Library. The position requires professional work of a confidential nature and the ability to exercise independent judgment, be self-motivated and organized.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Library Science, from as ALA-accredited school preferred, but not required.
- Minimum: five (5) years’ increasingly responsible legal assistance experience required. Experience performing legal research and use of web-based databases (eg. WestlawNext, LexisNexis).
Under the supervision of the Geauga County Law Library Resources Board of Trustees, designs, coordinates and manages all programs and activities concerned with the administration and operation of the county law library.
- Expert knowledge of legal materials and vendors.
- Expert knowledge of and considerable experience with current library standards, technology and automation.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting functions, along with effective office management and practice. Will use the New World billing system to pay bills as needed.
- Creativity and flexibility in planning, implementing and providing library services.
- Confers with other governmental offices regarding research/reference materials to be provided with library resources.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion when interacting with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to appropriately manage stressful situations and make sound decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationship with others.
- Ability to maintain accurate and organized records.
- Ability to operate computers and other office equipment.
The work is varied in its activity level and is performed primarily in the Law Library, located in the Geauga County Courthouse. The lifting requirement is up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis. There is frequent computer work. Equipment includes computers, telephones and copier/fax.
Dependent upon qualifications and experience. Salary includes medical, vision and dental benefits, if requested, along with participation in OPERS retirement system. In order to qualify for the health insurance benefits, hours worked each week must be 30 hours or greater, up to 35 hours worked each week.
For full consideration, a cover letter and resume must be submitted to:
100 Park Place
Chagrin Falls, OH 44022
(T) (440) 394-8514
(F) (440) 247-4025
This position will be posted until filled.