LIBRARIAN, SUPREME COURT OF OHIO – Columbus, Ohio (posted 1/6/18)
The Supreme Court of Ohio is seeking an experienced legal professional to fill the position of Librarian. The successful candidate will perform a variety of professional library functions including assisting patrons and staff in the effective use of legal research tools and documents which are part of the library collection.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provides reference, research & reader services to patrons of the library (e.g., assists patrons in using library resources; conducts bibliographic searches and prepares bibliographies; guides readers; enforces library policies), monitors circulation of materials.
- Assists patrons and staff in using library resources; instructs in research in case, statutory, and administrative law; demonstrates use of online databases; works the front reference or circulation desks as assigned; ensures that materials are checked out appropriately.
- Collaborates with academic, public, and special libraries and federal, state and local agencies to answer reference questions.
- Works with Technical Services staff in developing and maintaining collection by conducting collection inventories, making recommendations for new purchases, and recommending materials for removal from the Library’s collection.
- Creates research Guides and Pathfinders for use by Library patrons.
- Participates in networking with and/or attending meetings offered by local, regional, and national library associations.
- Reviews professional literature.
- Submits articles for publication to library and/or bar association journals.
- Performs a variety of administrative functions for the library including monitoring photocopier usage and collecting fees, filing updates, and weeding the collection as necessary.
- May be called upon to conduct tours of the Library for paralegals, law students, and legal interns.
- Requires a Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited university (or pending degree). Experience working in a legal environment is preferable. Juris Doctorate degree is not required.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to establish positive public relations and to interact effectively with justices, judges, attorneys, supervisors, co-workers, and the public.
- Requires the ability to establish and maintain collaborative effective working relationships with supervisors and subordinate staff, division directors and managers, public officials, and state agencies.
- Requires the ability to perform all aspects of the job with fairness, equity, patience, discretion, and confidentiality.
- Requires excellent organizational skills, ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and to assign priorities effectively, good attention to detail, an outstanding service orientation, and the ability to work well both individually and in a team environment.
- Requires expertise with Westlaw, Lexis, other web-based library subscriptions, and knowledge of Sirsi is preferred.
Major Worker Characteristics
- Complete application online
- Complete the supplemental questions online
- Upload a resume or CV
- Upload a cover letter with salary requirements
The Supreme Court of Ohio is an equal employment opportunity employer that supports an alcohol and drug-free, and a weapons and violence free, work environment.